Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: online Wall St Journal: Google Gives Search a Re

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Aldo Gangemi <gangemi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:07:14 +0000 (GMT)
Semantic search typically refers to an assemblage of techniques for enriching search results or web pages with semantic technologies, where the "semantics" in them is provided mostly by NLP shallow parsing and identity resolution over entities that can be operationally dereferenced, and provided with existing data (as with linked data).

The news about Google are not very transparent indeed, but that's most probably related to the "knowledge graph" stuff (also press-release-kind of news).
Knowing the dynamics of current exploitation of semantics in big industrial players, most probably Google is putting placeholders on something that is going to be used for improving their "rich snippets" and identity resolution within keyword searches.

Re: this thread, I'd say that whatever really deep we want to get with semantic analyses, we need anyway to understand the horizontal (wrt scalability) complexity of shallow semantic analyses and how they are concretely exploited.

Best
Aldo

--
Aldo Gangemi