Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 20:07:21 -0500

Ed,

Thanks for all these nice examples of context dimensions (financial domain), frames of reference (the definition of a planet), dynamism (the health care domain), and perspectives (the portable hand drill). Actually, you can find elements of all of them in all your examples.

One of the things that NCOIC did a while back is collect different problem space decompositions used in different government and industry domains. We stopped after we collected about 14 major (i.e., commonly used) decompositions. We could not come up with any consistent basis for relating these to each other or to any other overarching categorization principle. And of course, these categorizations were mostly orthogonal to each other (e.g., regional versus lifecycle versus mission/goal-oriented), but there was also considerable overlap (e.g., functional and mission/goal-oriented, such as when the function and the mission/goal more or less aligned with each other).  And earlier work in domain analysis that I was involved in also showed both the overlap and the orthogonality of different domains and the influence that choices about domain scope and related domain “boundaries”, however fuzzy they might be, had on the degree of overlap and orthogonality (or should I say degree of “coupling” or “relatedness” among domains?). The thing that struck me was the inherent arbitrariness and extensive social/institutional grounding for domain definitions and boundaries (like the planet issue), as well as the role of perspectives on how domains are viewed by different role players (like your drill example). Another important aspect of these observations was the issue of identity, and how context and perspective-dependent identity is. I suspect that the same parts had different identities in the drill example you gave, especially if they had identifiers in the context of the supplier of those parts as opposed to the context of the assembler/manufacturer of the drill. In the context of the design engineer, they might not even have had part numbers but part names and assembly names. And none of this really matters to the drill user, who might be interested in the chuck size, the RPM/horsepower/power requirement attributes of the drill, and maybe the model number (to order repair parts/assemblies) and the manufacturer/serial number/sale date (if there is a recall or warranty issue). In some contexts, the purchaser of the drill may assign an inventory/property control number to that drill. And if it’s a very expensive, specialized drill, it might have an asset ID in the purchaser’s accounting system. Which points up the arbitrariness of the division between capital assets and expensed items in modern accounting systems. I can remember when just about every computer was considered a capital asset. Now only the most expensive high-end servers meet the (changing) cost criteria.

I’m starting to ramble, so let me terminate this email by underscoring that the multiplicity of categorization systems are inherent in context, perspective and scope variability in reality (including alternate realities). Categorization is itself a potential scope dimension, as in how many different categorization schemas does your system/ontology support/account for (in some absolute count sense), or how many of some set of categories does it support (i.e., some percentage of a specified set), or how much of a specific category or domain does the system/ontology address (e.g., residential vice industrial plumbing, or only US building code plumbing).

One thing we encourage people to do is look at “adjacent domains” and the different perspectives and identifiers that those domains might have with respect to your own “domain of focus”. If forum members are interested, I can forward a copy of such an informal adjacent domain analysis for “friendly force tracking” interoperability with adjacent domains such as command and control, logistics, or personnel management.

Hans