Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:32:39 +0100
Am Mar 8, 2012 um 6:23 PM schrieb William Frank:
> I think is the essence of this point is:
>
> "The number of possible conflicts is infinite, and no fixed set
> of universal definitions can anticipate and rule out all of them."
>
> This is true of *logical necessity*; so it is something that we always live
>with
>
> The reason for this truth is that
>
>   there is no guarantee that all the models for
>   any theory G are consistent with one another.    (01)

I not sure what you and John mean by that -- consistency is a property of
theories or, more generally, sets of sentences. It doesn't make any clear sense
that I can see to say that two models are inconsistent. I suppose we can make
something up, e.g., models M1 and M2 of theory G are inconsistent with each
other if there is some sentence A in the language of G (obviously not a theorem
of G) to which M1 and M2 assign different truth values.    (02)

> More strongly, unless the theory G is complete, which no theory as expressed
>in an application will be    (03)

It's not obvious to me that that is so. There are well-known examples of
complete first-order theories (e.g., the first-order real number theory and
Euclidean geometry both have complete axiomatizations). Such theories obviously
cannot contain a lot of arithmetic, but it's not obvious that an interesting
practical ontology has to contain the arithmetic needed to guarantee
incompleteness and hence can't be complete.    (04)

> (only theories as bounded and richly expressed as second order arithmetic
>tend to be complete),    (05)

Eh? There is no complete axiomatization of second-order arithmetic.    (06)

> there will always be models, describe in theories G' that are extensions of
>G, as expressed in different applications, that ARE inconsistent with each
>other.  As in John's example, "an employee must be at least 21 years of age,"
>may be a rule expressed in one applicaton, while in another employees may be
>16, or have no specified age limits.    (07)

OK, so if you've got a theory G that doesn't entail anything specific about age
limits, then you could extend G to theories G1 and G2 that specify different
age limits. Hence, a model M1 of G1 and a model M2 of G2 will both be models of
G but will be "inconsistent" in the sense above. Fine, but it seems to me this
is all more easily expressed proof theoretically -- it's the simple logical
fact that every consistent incomplete theory has consistent extensions that are
mutually inconsistent.    (08)

-chris    (09)