Re: [ontolog-forum] Constructs, primitives, terms

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:39:29 -0500
John -    (01)

On Mar 8, 2012, at 11:16 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (02)

>  1. Let's suppose we have a set of globally unique terms, each of
> which
>      has a URI that specifies a precise definition.  The collection of
>      all those definitions can be called the global theory G.  And
> let's
>      assume that G is consistent -- i.e., no implied contradictions.    (03)

This looks totally theoretical to me.    (04)

Yes "A" & "B" are unique terms.  But "A" has 146 definitions & "B"
has 85 meanings.    (05)

>   2. Logicians show that any consistent set of definitions has one or
>      more models.    (06)

Where could anyone in the real world—particularly inside software
systems
that are maintained by different people with significantly different
skills &
available specifications over several decades—find consistent
definitions?    (07)

In the realm of mathematical theory, sure... but certainly NOT in the
world
of operational systems.    (08)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (09)