Re: [ontolog-forum] Proof that we construct language from ourperceptions

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 18:49:52 -0800

Dear Leo, William and John,

Since you all answered with the same concept in mind, I will reply to all three together.

Since we all seem to agree that our individual perceptions provide the basic experience needed for each of us form concepts, the only way we could share the precise definition of any concept is through all of us having shared the same experiences which relate to that concept.

But we know from many examples that we all assess our situations differently:

Remember the ring of repeated messages?  By the time the message is passed from person to person until it reaches the originator, the message has been changed beyond recognition.

Remember the story of the elephant “seen” by a group of blind men?  Each one comes away with a different description; one sees the trunk, one the leg, one the tail, one the body, one the tusks.

But for me, the clearest proof that we do NOT share the same concepts is that we have yet to find a truly successful large scale ontology that actually works.  Only small, deeply restricted topics such as Dublin Core have been widely accepted.  The same thing was true in the OOD community; only small components such as those on the Delphi component palette achieved significant reuse.  Large scale reuse has only been successful in toto.  Operating systems (think Windows, Unix, Linux, …) have been huge and because of their integrated set of interacting capabilities; their success has not been through conceptual libraries.

So I find the effort to shift causal bases from concepts to perception to be unconvincing.

Why hasn’t ontology worked if you truly believe that we share 95% of our concepts?  There has to be an explanation, but I haven’t seen one yet that is convincing other than the fact that we all construct our unique library of concepts through our own experiences, which includes perception, but also includes communications through language, visual images, signs, and other means.

So the open question is still this one: Why hasn’t ontology worked if you truly believe that we share 95% of our concepts?

Curiously,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper