Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:56:17 -0800

Dear Chris,

You wrote:

Leo gave a very clear answer to that question: "Without an ontology...[t]here is no machine semantic interpretation."  Moreover, the human worker (why the pejorative "grunt"?) might leave the company and take her knowledge along with her, a serious problem if it is not well-documented.

Yes, and Leo is absolutely correct.  But there is no machine semantic interpretation of IT projects anyway!  The FOL part is in the SQL database for the most part, and in the SQL procedures or software for the rest of it.  That doesn’t require “machine semantic interpretation” in any case.

I see Leo’s point as stating that the ontology is merely leverage to the programmer, not that it removes the need for human attention.  People are needed for semantic interpretation at this time in the progress of technology.  We here hope to move the technology along further so that “machine semantic interpretation” is more available and more lifelike in the future, but it isn’t here yet.

What value would be added if there were to be “machine semantic interpretation” in the first place?  Please identify what advantages that would have brought to the project; I am open to any suggestions you may have about what that could do in the same value system that the project addressed.  But the discussion in this thread, at least in my personal interpretation, is about determining what value an ontology would bring to the project in the first place.  At this time, it will NOT bring machine semantic interpretation of practical size.  That is my point; I want to find out if there is any real value to ontology at this time in technology.

And I consider myself one of those grunts when I was working on large projects – it’s a word we used with each other all the time.  Nothing pejorative is meant by use of the word; it’s more of a bonding word than a descriptive one.  The people on a large project, facing schedules, deadlines, tests, redesigns, and iterating over all those tasks develop a natural community which leads us to think up names like “grunt” to describe ourselves.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper