Re: [ontolog-forum] Science, Statistics and Ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:26:20 -0800

Dear Matthew,

Thanks for your thoughts.

You wrote:

When I hit a nail with a hammer 100 times and notice that it this makes it enter the piece of wood, this is not a matter merely of statistics, which we can interpret as we wish. There is an underlying mechanism that we can observe. This is true generally. The statistics can help us to consider what we should be trying to observe as a mechanism, and we may establish theories which we can prove, or disprove, but it is not “purely subjective”.

I read Hume’s point as indicating that KNOWING you are hitting the nail, KNOWING that wood is what you nailed the last fifty thousand times, and KNOWING that the nail has always in the past sunk into the wood after hitting it, are all SUBJECTIVE observations.

Suppose that you had never seen a nail, a piece of wood, or a hammer.  Perhaps you were raised in an Amazonian tribe cut off from the woof and warp of civilization, and you were six years old.  You have subjective knowledge of the jungle, of the animals as told to you by others in the tribe, and so on.  You would have no concept of the wood as construction material, of the hammer as a device to alter structures, or of the nail as a fastening mechanism.

Then you walk out of the woods, grow up, get a job in construction as a carpenter.  In the woods, you couldn’t have any experience with hammers nails and wood.  In you new (subjectively informed) role as a carpenter, you do have such knowledge after being shown how to nail by another carpenter, and after trying it yourself a few times.

This gedankenexperiment should show that it is learning how to interpret the hammer, the nail and the wood with the action of hitting the nail is all subjective.  Hume’s quote indicates that all such learning is subjective, at least to my subjective interpretation.  Yours may differ of course, but it is still necessarily subjective.

Before you develop knowledge, you don’t see the truth of the hammer nail and wood.  After learning it (as Hume pointed out) you do see it.

But occasionally, you will miss the head of the nail and strike your thumb instead.  The nail doesn’t penetrate the wood, but your thumb is strongly affected.  So perhaps one in a few hundred times, the nail will not penetrate the wood due to a bad strike, a bent nail, or knotted wood.

So I remain convinced that even understanding the situation in which the experiment applies is subjective.  There is no objective information there – it is all in the way you understand how to apply the hammer to the nail and the wood to achieve the desired effect.

Do you still feel otherwise?  It would be nice to read your response.  But it seems to me that the discovery operation sequence required to understand any situation is based on experience of some sort, perhaps only the experience of being told, but nevertheless on experience and therefore on subjective knowledge of past events.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

When I hit a nail  with a hammer 100 times and notice that it this makes it enter the piece of wood, this is not a matter merely of statistics, which we can interpret as we wish. There is an underlying mechanism that we can observe. This is true generally. The statistics can help us to consider what we should be trying to observe as a mechanism, and we may establish theories which we can prove, or disprove, but it is not “purely subjective”.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.