Re: [ontolog-forum] Solving the information federation problem

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 03:10:53 +0100
Hi Ed,    (01)

As usual ... Wow! I may try to dissect this at some point, but am in the
middle of a big information federation project with a reference ontology
using semantic mediation languages that may become W3C standards ... so
may not have time:-)    (02)

My one sentence summary of your email 'It's too early to make standards
for information federation as a whole, and there are already enough
standards in place for the components' ... about right?  I mostly agree
with that. However, the question I was addressing  (which may not be the
question in which you are interested, but seems of interest to Cory) was
'If in the next 5 years there need to be standards in support of
information federation, where should they be placed?' and nothing in
this reply does anything but strengthen the view that the W3C is the
most sensible answer. You may not approve of all the W3C WG activities
as they don't fit into the NIST semantic mediation architecture view,
but these activities are pushing in the right direction are are doing
far more to add to the components of a solution than other standards
activities of which I'm aware.    (03)

FWIW ... I'm not even convinced a semantic mediation tools suite is
what's actually required. In order to make progress, making things
clearly specified for humans (but computer navigable) independent of any
specific tool suite could be is a big step in the right direction, so
something more like the loosely-coupled, but semantics-driven IDIOM
framework might be a more reasonable place to start.    (04)

Anyway, back to my real job...    (05)

Cheers,
David    (06)

On 10/28/2011 1:10 AM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:

> David Price wrote:
>> There are of course things that organizations can do to start improving
>> the situation, but they have little to do with Ontolog-typical concerns
>> and so I doubt that the Ontolog Forum is the place to 'get on with' this
>> problem.
>>
>> I think it's pretty clear now that the OMG cannot do it either - as has
>> been proven by the lack of progress on SIMF despite a valiant effort on
>> your part. FWIW it's very hard to push through the OMG 'everything is a
>> meta-model' and 'vested interests' barriers. Luckily, it seems to me
>> that a new language is actually pretty far down the list of important
>> mechanisms/approaches wrt information federation anyway.
>>
> Well, I can agree to some extent.  The problem that OMG has in this
> regard is that Cory is pushing for a *standard* that supports 'semantic
> integration tools', and he can't name one.  I pointed out then that, in
> spite of 2 EU FP6 projects and millions of euros invested in this, the
> result was only weak academic tooling, and the three collections of
> tools I saw chose different organizations and different integrating
> mechanisms.  The OMG Telecomm group put out an RFI for the current state
> of the art in semantic integration tools and got only one response, from
> Cory's AESIG.  NIST itself is now on its 4th project in trying to define
> a feasible toolset for some known mediation problems.  Part of the
> difficulty is in agreeing on what the modules should be and do, and part
> of the difficulty is agreeing on an adequate form for the integrating
> model.
>
> But the main problem is simply that it is easier to build a one-off
> mapping of your business data from representation1 to representation2
> using XSLT or Java, than to learn to use, and use, the tools to create
> the ontology for your business data and the tools to map the XML schemas
> to the ontology and the tools to perform the runtime transformations.
> You have to see a broader, longer-term value to the reference ontology
> to realize any value at all from the extra work.
>
> And the reference ontology has to be able to capture the rules of usage
> that you will write into your XSLT script.  OWL can't.  RDF can, if the
> tool provider invents enough special vocabulary, but what modeling tool
> will you use to create the RDF ontology?  UML with stereotypes and OCLv2
> can, but it isn't any easier to write OCL than Java.  So there is a
> serious practical barrier to getting /useable/ and /cost-effective/
> semantic mediation tooling.  And that is why there are not  lots of
> commercial tools.
>
> Yes, there is enormous value to be realized, IF you can figure out how
> to create it.  We at NIST justify our work in this area as 'research',
> because we have not yet seen a tool set that is even effective, without
> getting into useable or cost-effective.  And OMG has been given to
> [...]

Managing Director and Consultant
TopQuadrant Limited. Registered in England No. 05614307
UK +44 7788 561308
US +1 336-283-0606    (08)