Re: [ontolog-forum] the Zachman Enterprise Ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:52:15 +0100
On 10/12/2011 4:11 PM, Ali SH wrote:

Regarding David's idea of taking "ownership" of the wiki page and/or getting some consistency on the ontology definitions floating out there -- I'm not certain Ontolog has a mandate to do such a thing, however perhaps the IAOA (www.iaoa.org) could oversee the development of a set of resources that could facilitate answering this recurring question of what ontologies are. The question as always are -- who would the resources making the resources be?

I considered the resource question when making the suggestion ... owning an Wikipedia entry or two would take far less time than most of the participants spend in a week deleting Ontolog Forum emails:-) And ... once it's there, it's there and very little more is required. The only concern wrt IAOA is that nobody (relatively speaking) knows it exists and my aim was to get an accurate definition into widespread use outside this forum. If we want IAOA to somehow bless/agree/manage the process, that's fine. However, WRT the question of mandate, the intro wiki page says:

ONTOLOG (a.k.a. "Ontolog Forum") is an open, international, virtual community of practice devoted to advancing the field of ontology, ontological engineering and semantic technology, and advocating their adoption into mainstream applications and international standards.    (6)

It seems to me that putting an accurate definition into widespread use is *exactly* the kind of thing this virtual community of practice should be doing - then people would understand what we're trying to get adopted into mainstream applications and and into international standards.

BTW there is no entry in Wikipedia for 'Ontolog Forum'.

Cheers,
David

--
Managing Director and Consultant
TopQuadrant Limited. Registered in England No. 05614307