Re: [ontolog-forum] the Zachman Enterprise Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:33:00 -0400
Hi Marc & All,

Here's a useful definition of an ontology:

What makes written knowledge an "ontology" is that the language has a grammar and an interpretation of the grammatical constructs that is suitable for automated reasoning.  If most of the desired reasoning depends on your interpretations of constructs you introduced, that can't happen unless you build the engine.  Without that engine, you have an ox, not a bull.

              -- Ed Barkmeyer, NIST

Using that definition, it looks like your description 1/  is a non-starter, but that 2/ or 3/ may well apply.

                                Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering