Re: [ontolog-forum] How determine the instances of this concept?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bart Gajderowicz <bgajdero@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:00:19 -0400
Hello Joel,
If you haven't already, you may be interested in the work Boyan
Brodaric (Geological Survey of Canada) has done on representing
geological information with ontologies, and E-Science in general. This
doesn't address your exact question, but thought I would pass it along
anyway.    (01)

http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/indices/a-tree/b/Brodaric:Boyan.html    (02)

Specifically these publications.
"Knowledge Evolution in Geologic Mapping"
"Geo-Pragmatics for the Geospatial Semantic Web"
"Enabling Cross-Disciplinary E-Science by Integrating Geoscience
Ontologies with Dolce"    (03)

Thanks    (04)

On 6 October 2011 00:55, joel luis carbonera <joelcarbonera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm modeling an ontology for the field of geology.
> Trying to represent the ontology in first order logic, considering the
> necessary and sufficient conditions for each concept, I have found some
> challenges regarding to a specific concept, called Sedimentary Facies.
> The current domain definition of Sedimentary facies is as follows:
> A Sedimentary facies is a amount of rock in a body of rock, visually
> distinguishable (through discontinuities of visual properties) of adjacent
> amounts of rock in the same body of rock.
> How can I formalize this concept in FOL?
> Apparently, the instances of this concept are determined depending on each
> other, in a relative way. I'm not sure that I canlogically determine what
> are the instances of the concept.
> Best regards.
> Joel Luis Carbonera

Bart Gajderowicz, MSc.