Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'John F. Sowa'" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 16:58:02 -0700
Dear John, Pat, Azamat and Doug,    (01)

I think that trying to distinguish between
awareness (Doug's word) or consciousness (your
word) and more automatic or instinctual reactions,
is not observable.  I suggested Pavlov's approach
before, but as John pointed out, Pavlov's work was
a century ago, and more recent work on
conditioning and stimuli have gone a lot deeper.
So I have abandoned that as a useful modeling
construct.      (02)

But the point that convinced me to leave out the
distinction between conscious awareness and
reactive awareness is the impossibility of
measuring it, and therefore of observing it in
meaningful ways.  Ideally, it would be useful to
have such a distinction, but I don't think it has
practical implementations; therefore I would
rather not have it cluttering up the ontology with
indistinguishable contexts that depend on
unobtainable data.      (03)

HTH,
-Rich    (04)

Sincerely,