Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 00:12:17 -0400
On 9/4/2011 11:57 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> I would add that reading 'the selfish gene' leads one to the idea
> that it is the genome that has the 'urge' to reproduce, rather
> than the individual. On this view, it might be more accurate to
> say that our DNA has self-interest, and we are simply the means
> it uses to achieve its goals.    (01)

I agree with you.    (02)

As I said to Rich, the most anyone can get out of an ontology
is a derivative of what you put in:  the implications of the
definitions and general axioms.    (03)

The ontology might give you something more if you combine it
with other data from testing and observations.  But that is
factual data, not just definitions.    (04)

But as I also said to Rich, all the observations indicate
that Herbert Hoover's approach was a total failure, and the
methods by Roosevelt and Truman led to the unprecedented
level of prosperity from the late 1940s through the 1960s.
I don't think that is what he was hoping for.    (05)