Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cory Casanave <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:42:26 -0400
Mathew,
We also do planning as part of or EA practice and also do a reasonable about of
project management. I recognize the way you are using the term as the level of
planning required to get CxO "sign off" for an enterprise plan as you suggest.
However, this does not preclude the possibility of other plans that may not be
as complete.  Plans for sign-off must also include other viewpoints, such as
finances.  But, not all plans need a CxO signoff for financial commitment.    (01)

Certainly there is a concept for a plan as you suggest, perhaps I would call it
an "action plan".  There is also a concept for the more general notion of plan
as John suggests that may or may not include specific actions or other
viewpoints.  What seems essential to a plan is some intended future state.    (02)

Aren't we all used to these squabbles over terms when we should be worried
about the concepts?  When more than one concept get attached to a term we just
need to qualify the terms and move on.  Experts, such as project managers, will
tend to attach their opinion on what makes up a "good" (in their expert view)
variant of a concept - and then try and assign that goodness as a requirement
for everyone.  So perhaps a good plan, to a project manager, must include
actions.  But to an architect a floor plan is a pure future state.    (03)

So I would agree with John that the most general concept of plan (or at least
the concept I attach to that term) includes intended possible worlds.  This
seems well supported by the definitions John sites.  Actions to achieve a
possible world make a more complete action plan.    (04)

-Cory    (05)