Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 20:28:34 -0400
John,    (01)

On 4/22/2011 3:43 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
<snip>
> AH
>> ... we should be aware of the problems in the db's and sware systems
>> of the past. However, we are embarking with the explicit aim of
>> making our ontologies interoperable and reusable.
> *Every* major computer system since the 1960s was designed with
> the goal of being interoperable and reusable with all other
> systems, especially legacy systems.  Those that weren't died.
>
> The original WWW worked very well with legacy systems.  But the
> Semantic Web was designed as a total break with the past.  That is
> why the growth of the SW has been glacially slow compared to the
> growth of the WWW.  The theme of my iss.pdf talk is the need for
> a more flexible and extensible foundation for Semantic Systems:
>
>      http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/iss.pdf
>    (02)

Curious if you have compared the growth of the Semantic Web with Esperanto?    (03)

Thinking the higher % of semantics in a medium (think RDF/RDFa), the
slower the growth rate (or even the possibility of growth).    (04)

The WWW had a very low % of semantics as a medium (think TCP/IP).    (05)

The SW has a higher (how much I cannot say) % of semantics as a medium.    (06)

The higher the % of semantics, the closer the medium resembles a natural
language and so subject to all the difficulties of the same.    (07)

Hope you are at the start of a great weekend!    (08)

Patrick    (09)

--     (010)

Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO/IEC 13250-1, 13250-5 (Topic Maps)    (011)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau    (012)