Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies [Legacy Systems]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:29:21 -0700
Thanks John!    (01)

I think that for the most part we see topic mapping and ontologies in
a very similar way. You choose to comment on the mechanics of topic
mapping, for instance automated ways to do the mappings.  Until just
recently, I was doing a thesis research project on that very issue; it
is possible to do mappings in an automated way so long as topic
mappers follow guidelines presented in the Topic Maps Reference Model
(TMRM) which specifies, essentially, what you must declare in a public
legend.  My case is a simple one: we can do that.    (02)

But, that case is just as complex as any other ontology engineering
case when you have people making judgments and interpretations, so it
is reasonable, at the implementation level, to build into the system
means by which choices made can be contested and corrected.  Speaking
only for projects I create, my topic map platforms do just that.    (03)

And, I would submit that topic maps provide a place to represent all
knowable properties and relations.  I'd like to think that your
"laundry list" can be satisfied through the addition of what I call a
"knowledge federation" platform to a universe of ontology documents.
That would be federation as Patrick Durusau and I described it in our
presentation, and as he, I, and others are striving to implement it.
Again, and for emphasis, I am not proposing replacing any ontology
whatsoever; just improving the loom that weaves all those artifacts.    (04)

Jack    (05)