Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies [Legacy Systems]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 12:21:40 -0400
On 4/21/11 9:16 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> The obvious solution to that problem is to include roles such
> as Mary's husband in the ontology.  Roles like employee, manager,
> CEO, governor, president, buyer, seller, etc., must also be in
> the ontology.
>
> Anything and everything that concerns human beings is expressible
> in every natural language.  It must also be expressible in any general
> purpose ontology.  That doesn't mean that every microtheory or special
> purpose ontology must support everything, but the overall framework
> must make room for every human thought, concern, and activity.
John,    (01)

I've just loaded the YAGO2 ontology into the LOD cloud cache [1] that we
host. Here are some example pages:    (02)

1. http://bit.ly/hZKogR -- looking at monarchies via context lenses of
the Yago2 ontology
2. http://bit.ly/fQnjfq -- what we can learn about the United Nations
from Yago2
3. http://bit.ly/halPFd -- territorial evolution of the United States
from Yago
4. http://bit.ly/hQ5VCP -- looking at the Yago2 country class.    (03)

Yago provides a different slant on the use of Wikipedia to devise an
ontology that can be used to construct context lenses into Linked Data
from the LOD cloud. Merging data across Yago, DBpedia, SUMO, OpenCyc,
and UMBEL is optional via condition use of inference rules etc..    (04)

Here is a little step by guide re. the UI that sits in front of our LOD
cloud cache instance:    (05)

1. Goto: http://lod.openlinksw.com -- which has 21 Billion+ triples (I
state this number with context for what follows in mind)    (06)

2. Enter pattern: School    (07)

3. When you get the first results page, click on the "Type" link in the
Navigation section    (08)

4. You'll see: http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=36    (09)

5. Few Retry Button Clicks later (depending on state of working set
cache) you see: education.data.gov.uk in the list    (010)

6. Then you'll have:
http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=37    (011)

7. Optionally, click on "Places" link from the Navigation section and
you get: http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=38    (012)

8. Click on "Entity1" link at page top and you get a list    (013)

9. Use "Save" to permalink and share with others who derive their own
insights and pass on    (014)

10 etc..    (015)

Links:    (016)

1. http://lod.openlinksw.com - start page into which you can enter text
patterns as your start point    (017)

2.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtuosoLODSampleTutorial    (018)

- UI usage guide (a bit dated as we now have labels auto-magically
assigned to anchor text instead of URIs, via label determination
oriented inference rules) .    (019)

--     (020)

Regards,    (021)

Kingsley Idehen