Re: [ontolog-forum] Monica Anderson on AGI

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:47:56 -0400
On 4/3/2011 8:03 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:
> I always find thinking about thinking difficult.    (01)

Don't worry about that.  Everybody finds it difficult.    (02)

That's why it's helpful to find quotations from people
who have thought long and hard about similar issues.    (03)

Following is an example:    (04)

> Since the synthesis of empirical concepts is not arbitrary
> but based on experience, and as such can never be complete
> (for in experience ever new characteristics of the concept
> can be discovered), empirical concepts cannot be defined.
>
> Thus only arbitrarily made concepts can be defined
> synthetically. Such definitions... could also be called
> declarations, since in them one declares one's thoughts
> or renders account of what one understands by a word. This
> is the case with mathematicians.    (05)

Source:    (06)

Kant, Immanuel (1800) _Logik:  Ein Handbuch zu Vorlesungen_, translated
as _Logic_ by R. S. Hartmann & W. Schwarz, Dover, New York, 1988.    (07)

If a quotation from Kant isn't sufficient, it's possible to find
supporting quotations other notables, such as Peirce, Whitehead,
Wittgenstein, and Waismann.    (08)