Re: [ontolog-forum] Monica Anderson on AGI

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 17:03:47 -0700
>Whereas efforts like IBM's Watson have demonstrated that multiple approaches are >complementary and not exclusive (a point also argued persuasively by John Sowa >in www.jfsowa.com/pubs/paradigm.pdf <http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/paradigm.pdf> ).

This point of view is certainly reasonable within the IEEE Computational Intelligence society.  This mimics how humans make decisions too.  Reasoning (aka different approaches from different systems) presents the witness to many potential courses of action after observing an event.   At a basic level, emotions may outweigh logic.  Autonomous reflexive responses may outweigh a human’s own contemplated course of action.

I always find thinking about thinking difficult.

Duane

---
Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Architecture - http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/
Adobe MAX 2011 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2011/03/adobe-max-2011.html