Re: [ontolog-forum] Fact Guru, Controlled NLs, and OOR

To: "edbark@xxxxxxxx" <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:17:41 -0400
Ed,    (01)

Some comments below.    (02)

Thanks,
Leo    (03)

-----Original Message-----
From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ed Barkmeyer
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:38 PM
To: [ontolog-forum]
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Fact Guru, Controlled NLs, and OOR    (04)

Leo Obrst. wrote:
> The way to distinguish terminology and ontology is that you use terms
>(natural language words, phrases) to refer to "concepts" (ideas, referents,
>categories, etc.) So the former is semantics, i.e., ways of referring (quite
>often just lexical semantics, but you can imagine a phrase "gasoline tank" or
>"steel crankshaft, corroded and discarded"), the latter is ontology, i.e.,
>what is referred to, typically real world objects or categories.
>
> You may also use a term as a label for a concept, which is fine if you
>understand the distinction, but the concept could be labeled KDKJKDLK123 in
>the ontology and that really is just as valid, if perverse (though you cannot
>interpret it semantically as an English speaker unless you see the term in the
>terminology that refers to it). And note that there is not a 1-1 relationship
>between terms and concepts, but a many-many, depending on the language and of
>course the ontology.
>    (05)

There is a particularly cute trick in one of the ISO TC37 (Vocabulary
and Terminology) standards (ISO 1087-1, I think).  It defines
'designation' as the relationship between an 'expression' (variously
called the 'sign' or 'signifier' or 'term') and a 'concept', with the
statement: "In the speech community that uses the designation, the
signifier refers to the concept and denotes its instances in a world of
interest."    (06)

[LEO:] Well, I think one can state simple generalizations that do apply,
without going down the various rabbit holes which require many courses (or long
intense self-studies) in semantics, philosophy of language, logic, and
metaphysics/ontology. One can get into issues with sense and denotation and
other distinctions, and into the fact that language terms can in fact "denote"
(or "refer" if you will) to other natural language terms, and hence can't be
fully resolved until you take the semantic value of the semantic value, ...,
kind of like pointer resolution. As perhaps you intend in your next paragraph.
Indexicals, anaphora/cataphora, intensional words, phrases, etc. Etc. And of
course similar stuff exists on the world reference/ontology/metaphysics side.
Discontiguous/disconnected wholes, dense scales, trophe or quality spaces, etc.    (07)

[LEO:] But I think we owe some simple enlightenment to a larger community,
providing a kind of Newtonian physics when we know that, really, Einstein rules.    (08)

This is exactly the kind of wording one should expect from a standards
body -- it tries to please all the factions by integrating two otherwise
distinct definitions.  And some participating expert will tell you,
privately, but not in the standard,  that the distinction between
'refers to' and 'denotes' is the difference between 'mention' and 'use',
thereby further complicating the issue.  The clarification of one term
thus creates four new undefined terms.  In so many words, sorting out
the terminology for terminology concepts seems to be a problem for
terminologists.   It is turtles all the way down... :-)    (09)

[LEO:] I really don't place a lot of trust in committees and their work
products. I've seen the results. Though miracles do happen.    (010)

-Ed    (011)

> Thanks,
> Leo
> Dr. Leo Obrst        The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
> lobrst@xxxxxxxxx     Information Discovery & Understanding, Command & Control
>Center
> Voice: 703-983-6770  7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
> Fax: 703-983-1379    McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (013)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (014)