Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Re: Using controlled natural languages forontol

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:17:15 -0700
It seems to me that to perform the tasks suggested by FK here is to
ignore a long and rich history of conversation in this and related
forums that go back to before the days of google.com.  It further
seems to me that JFS has been arguing that there is no *ideal*
(emphasis on that word: ideal) upper ontology, which does not deny the
 viability of *some* upper ontology for *some* particular application.    (01)

When FK suggests that it is possible for some entity to, in his words,
"taking each term under scrutiny and declaring whether accepted or
refused" -- that is, as Patrick Durusau and I described the game, play
Hobson's Choice in an ONTOLOG conference call many years ago [1], he
is declaring that someone will play God for all who would use the
result.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that's not a
tenable solution for some applications.    (02)

I have to wonder just how many times we need to revisit this topic.
Any reasonable query at your favorite search engine will surely
suggest to any who try it that this is a well debated topic, not
really worthy of continued conversation. Either you accept that there
is no *ideal* upper ontology and remain happy that you are free to
create whatever upper ontology suits *your* needs, or you don't.
Nobody is going to be sold on the notions of others in this matter;
the logic behind the debate is well documented.    (03)

Finally, I do not deny that it's a useful exercise to take apart
available ontologies and describe their weaknesses. Just don't do it
here; the subject line doesn't invite that conversation.    (04)

Jack
[1] http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_04_27    (05)