Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Re: Using controlled natural languages forontol

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 01:07:04 -0400 (EDT)
> So instead of claiming that we have a number of upper ontologies
> none of which is the best and the most approrate,
> we should start anaylsing and comparing
> those already in use and point out any shortcomings.    (01)

Perhaps it would be more useful to determine the reasons why
certain concepts are included or not in such upper ontologies.
The inclusion or exclusion of a concept is not necessarily a
shortcoming without specifying a context.    (02)

Sometimes items in one upper ontology are not included in
another because the language is not designed to express them
(e.g., metaclasses).    (03)

> Therefore we likely need to agree through accepting definitions
> of whatever term we use in a step by step fasion
> taking each term under scrutiny and declaring whether accepted or
> refused and on what grounds.    (04)

Sounds good.    (05)

> This is a process of alignment of paradigm or terminology
> used to express our concepts that are not accessible otherwise.     (06)

It seems to me that most terms in various upper ontologies are
included in the Cyc upper ontology, while many terms in the Cyc
upper ontology are not present in other specific upper ontologies.
This, of course, is because Cyc was designed to represent all
possible concepts.    (07)

I am not trying to say that the Cyc upper ontology is the/an ideal
upper ontology.  However, the concepts present in most upper ontologies
could be mapped to each other through mapping each to their equivalent
Cyc concepts.    (08)

-- doug    (09)

> Regards,
> Ferenc
> "our attention becomes structured by external demands. In more intimate
> encounters, the level of both challenges and skills can grow very high.
> Thus,
> interactions have many of the characteristics of flow activities, and they
> certainly require the orderly investment of mental energy. The strong
> effects of
>
> companionship on the quality of experience suggest that investing energy
> in
> relationships is a good way to improve life." Mihály
>
>Csíkszentmihályi"http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199707/finding-flow?page=3

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (011)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.