Re: [ontolog-forum] the data mining craze

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Stephen Young <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:29:24 +1100

Thanks for your feedback Krzysztof

> Frankly speaking I am having a hard time making sense out of wik.me. For instance,
> I typed in Germany and got about 30 results in the 'Germany may include' list. Most
> of them were about German soccer teams, heavy metal bands, or the city Ogden in Utah.

The connection to Ogden is pretty tenuous, I'll admit and it's an example of a dbPedia
triple that shouldn't have made it past the filter.  I might add that more than half
of DBPedia's triples were dumped because of their quality.

This is what you get when you ask a machine to read human language.  But wik.me *does*
give you the power to change these errors - which I've just done on the Ogden page with the
comment "@bot, this is not connected to Germany."

> From my perspective this list does not follow any order nor does it contain relevant
> links about Germany in general (leaving the first link aside).

I guess you're not a heavy metal fan. Some of us are ;-).  Seriously though - the keyword
search list is ranked by popularity.  The site wik.me is a *discovery* tool, not an exercise in
presenting structure.

> After following the first link from the 'Germany may include' list, I get a single sentence
> definition of Germany and then a category called 'Contains'. This category seems to be spatial
> containment at first but it is not. I lists some German cities, some German states, the Oktoberfest,
> the German term 'Schadenfreude' and so forth. All this comes without any further *structure* and is
> rather confusing.

This is a forum about ontology, so I shouldn't be surprised that everything is looked at through "structure"
glasses.  You will be confused, because the internal structure is not apparent, and the "structure"
presented is created for wik.me by inference.

You're expecting too much from the site - think of it as search engine with just a little more structure.

> After clicking on the city Duesseldorf, I don't get any additional results but just the around the Web section.

The hope is that people like you, who know something about Dusseldorf, will add some facts about it.  I note that
no-one on this forum has tried that yet so perhaps we need to make the mechanism more obvious.

> Powerset.com, for instance,  followed a similar but way more advanced approach in 2008 before they got bought
> and closed by Microsoft. The same is true for Freebase and other projects that provide structured data.

No.  This I take issue with.  Powerset may have developed some advanced NLP, but the scope, intent and execution of the project were very different.  Scope and intent for Freebase are similar, but wik.me is fundamentally different
in it's structures and in the way it allows people to interact with data.  Ask your eight-year-old daughter to add a
fact about Dusseldorf at FreeBase and see how you go ;-)

> Again, maybe I just used the wrong terms for testing, but I do not see where wik.me is going or who will use it.

It's a proof-of-concept for us.  Until we can get more data into it, I'll concede that for most it has little more than curiosity value.

Steve