Re: [ontolog-forum] More on Watson

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Krzysztof Janowicz <jano@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:44:39 -0500
> I am interested in how this will help clarify the field of ontology.
> It should remove a few of the areas of practical applicability and
> perhaps help to focus attention on the areas where ontology is the right
> starting point for building applications rather than starting with the
> technologies that make up Watson.    (01)

yes, but what are the challenges 'where ontology is the right
starting point'?    (02)

Best,
Krzysztof    (03)

On 02/21/2011 08:14 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> As an IBM Partner in the e-Learning space (we sell the Saba LMS as does
> IBM), I get regular e-mails about sales opportunities, technical updates
> and general management ideas.
>
> Today I received a bit on Watson that I can share with you.
>
> http://www-943.ibm.com/innovation/us/watson/what-is-watson/index.html
> describes different aspects of the Watson project and gives a bit of a
> hint as to where IBM thinks that it can be applied next.
>
> According to IBM
> "Watson represents a tremendous breakthrough in computers understanding
> natural language, "real language" that is not specially designed and
> encoded just for computers, but language humans use to naturally capture
> and communicate knowledge. Much of the technology that comprises Watson
> is commercially available today. IBM has added custom software and
> algorithms to help it meet the Jeopardy! Challenge from Information
> Management, Hadoop, Eclipse and DB2. "
>
> Be the first on your block to have your own Watson.
> Anyone need one? I can put you at the top of my list of sales prospects.;-)
>
> As I get more details, I will try to share the interesting bits.
>
> I am interested in how this will help clarify the field of ontology.
> It should remove a few of the areas of practical applicability and
> perhaps help to focus attention on the areas where ontology is the right
> starting point for building applications rather than starting with the
> technologies that make up Watson.
>

> Ron

Krzysztof Janowicz    (05)

GeoVISTA Center, Department of Geography, 302 Walker Building
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA    (06)

Email: jano@xxxxxxx
Webpage: http://www.personal.psu.edu/kuj13/
Semantic Web Journal: http://www.semantic-web-journal.net    (07)