Re: [ontolog-forum] presentism, etc.

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wacek Kusnierczyk <waku@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:51:31 -0600
On 2/8/11 1:40 PM, FERENC KOVACS wrote:
> Thanks, Peter,
> John,
> You do not have to be a potato to relaize that the input to your eyes is on
>the
> retina, a flat surface.    (01)

wrong.  retina is not flat, it is a complicated 3D structure, not only
because of the curvature of the eyeball, but also because it is layered,
with complicated connection between cells along and across layers.    (02)

> The fact that you nhave two inputs in the two eyes does
> not change this truism, the questioin if how the brain processes those
>stimuli.
> As far as I know it turns them around, condenses and transforms them, just as
> camera would do. The further processing of the pictures is a function of your
> brainwork and knowledge,    (03)

in fact, retina performs extensive preprocessing of the signal before
it's sent further to the brain.  the 3D interneuronal connections within
the retina are essential for this processing.    (04)

your analogy to a camera is misleading; retina certainly does not simply
collect and ship signals from each receptor cell.    (05)

vQ    (06)