Re: [ontolog-forum] presentism, etc.

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:58:40 -0500
On 2/8/2011 10:27 AM, FERENC KOVACS wrote:
> Nevertheless it is different from representing object (that otherwise have
>mass
> and enegy frozen in 2D) and offering them for visual inspection in a plane to
> enable you to focus on an object the surface of which is seemingly complete
> towards you, and is in focus together with all the other objects drawn or
>shown
> with sharper contour around it...    (01)

I think we are talking about two different things.    (02)

Your examples are about presenting diagrams and pictures on 2D paper
or computer screens.  And I was talking about human perception and
mental imagery.    (03)

I agree that flat surfaces are 2D.  I also agree that some people
(couch potatoes who watch TV all day and those who watch computer
screens all day) get a huge amount of their info from 2D surfaces.    (04)

But Homo sapiens evolved from monkeys and apes that swing from
trees.  If they didn't have excellent 3D perception and action,
they were quickly eliminated from the gene pool.    (05)

Most people today don't swing from trees, but Olympic athletes
show that people still have skills inherited from the 3D days.    (06)