Re: [ontolog-forum] Where Do I Put...

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:20:36 -0500

Re: Goedel Numbers

My inclination would be to define a relation called “hasGoedelNumber” which specifies the number for that element.  The relation is, of course, ternary being meaningful only in a context, but how one handles that depends on how one handles contexts in general.  The range would be whole numbers.

For me an interesting question would be whether such a relation would be a primitive concept or not, and I think not.  I would have a general relation “hasIndexNumber” to handle all relations asserting a numbering for anything that one wants to number, and the subrelations would be specialized by relating them to the numbering system itself (again, suggesting an inherently ternary relation).

   If one really wants a class of ‘Goedel Numbers”, it would be the class of all numbers (a subset of integers) that are in the range of that relation.  Not particularly meaningful as a class, as you say.    These would be mental objects; the membership of the class would depend on someone having defined a set of Goedel numbers for some purpose.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416