[ontolog-forum] Where Do I Put...

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:50:41 -0500
I've been thinking for a while that we need a "Where Do I Put..."
thread. It will cover suggestions on where to put those fussy little
things that are not covered in ontological discussions. Do you have any
of these types of questions?    (01)

I recognize that there are many ways to organize an ontology, but
clearly if access is by structure, rather than by indexical, then we
should recognize and promote the more efficient structures.    (02)

Where Do I Put...??
-------------------
1. Gõedel numbers and other formulas? (...and are data encoded using
Church's approach?)    (03)

2. Entities that are pending or which are not ready to be entered in the
ontology (e.g. entities that have not been validated)?    (04)

3. Element instances that are similar but not of a class (e.g. dead skunk).    (05)

4. Entities by reference (e.g. pointer to a binary file containing a
song | translation tools | ontology meta-data).    (06)

5. Known unknowns.    (07)

6. Logic maths meta-data (e.g. HOL).    (08)

7. Alternate universals.    (09)

8. Are predicates (and other formula) grouped or striated per type or
per instance (covers relations and constraints also).    (010)

9. Persistent intermediate findings, intermediate or "scratch-pad"
proofs that may be of later use, or which may need to be exported
(should we have a general export structure?).    (011)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Systems
  Concord, MA USA    (012)