Re: [ontolog-forum] Where Do I Put...

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:56:41 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, February 2, 2011 8:50, John Bottoms said:
> I've been thinking for a while that we need a "Where Do I Put..."
> thread. It will cover suggestions on where to put those fussy little
> things that are not covered in ontological discussions. Do you have any
> of these types of questions?
>
> I recognize that there are many ways to organize an ontology, but
> clearly if access is by structure, rather than by indexical, then we
> should recognize and promote the more efficient structures.    (01)

With a network of ontologies, such specific categories of things would
belong in their own ontologies.  Those who wish to use them include those
ontologies along with the other ones they use.    (02)

> Where Do I Put...??
> -------------------
> 1. Gġedel numbers and other formulas? (...and are data encoded using
> Church's approach?)    (03)

The theory of Gödel numbers and concepts unique to them would go in one
ontology.  The various methods of encoding symbols as primes would be
different theories and each such theory being ontologized would go into
its own ontology.    (04)

> 2. Entities that are pending or which are not ready to be entered in the
> ontology (e.g. entities that have not been validated)?    (05)

Provisional new types of entity would go in one or more separate ontologies
depending on whether they belong together or not.  Provisional instances
of entities would go in their own knowledge bases.    (06)

> 3. Element instances that are similar but not of a class (e.g. dead
> skunk).    (07)

These would be separate classes with predicates and rules which relate
instances of the two classes.  Depending on the logic which you are
using, one class can be defined by a function on the other class.  For
example in Cyc,  (#$DeadFn #$Skunk)   is the class of all dead skunks.    (08)

There could be several theory ontologies which define different
properties of (#$DeadFn #$HumanBeing) and possibly make statements
relating instances of that category to instances of (#$CorpseFn
#$HumanBeing) and (#$SoulFn HumanBeing).    (09)

> 4. Entities by reference (e.g. pointer to a binary file containing a
> song | translation tools | ontology meta-data).    (010)

Rules and relations should be defined to relate the references to the
referenced objects.    (011)

> 5. Known unknowns.    (012)

This is a knowledge-base issue.  A known unknown could have its status
change.  A higher-order logic could define predicates to express this.
In FOL this could be expressed with something like rules.    (013)

E.g., Cyc could define #$unknownArg1 and #$unknownArg2 such that
  (#$unknownArg1 #$sSNof "123-45-6789")
would mean that the holder of that Social Security Number is not
known in the current context, and
  (#$unknownArg2 #$locationOf #$OsamaBinLaden)
would mean that the current location is unknown in the knowledge base
in which it is asserted.    (014)

In FOL,
  (forAll ?PERSON
    (and
      (sSNof ?PERSON "123-45-6789")
      (identityUnknown ?PERSON)))    (015)

> 6. Logic maths meta-data (e.g. HOL).    (016)

Again, use separate ontologies    (017)

> 7. Alternate universals.    (018)

Again, use separate ontologies    (019)

> 8. Are predicates (and other formula) grouped or striated per type or
> per instance (covers relations and constraints also).    (020)

Why not both?    (021)

> 9. Persistent intermediate findings, intermediate or "scratch-pad"
> proofs that may be of later use, or which may need to be exported
> (should we have a general export structure?).    (022)

Again, use separate ontologies    (023)

-- doug
> -John Bottoms
>   FirstStar Systems
>   Concord, MA USA

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (025)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.