Re: [ontolog-forum] Quote for the day

To: "'[ontolog-forum]'" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Toby Considine" <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:06:45 -0500
Good focus, Ed    (01)

I, too think that what the Execs wanted is what I now would call an upper
ontology on which to develop their corporate micro-theory (ontology)..
However, when a real estate exec starts saying why *he* wants and values an
ontology, *I* am not one to slow him down, nor to explain to him that he got
the words wrong....     (02)

This thread has morphed into a discussion of how to explain the value
Ontology to business owners / decision makers, and assertion that *they*
would never be interested. My purpose in the note (as you asked, Ed), it to
illustrate that CEOs are potentially intensely interested--but not, perhaps,
if we insist on the purity of their language and approach. They did, indeed
get to become CEOs for a reason, and didn't happen to choose to become
ontologists.    (03)

tc    (04)

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker    (05)

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar
TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop
U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee    (06)

Email: Toby.Considine@xxxxxxxxx
Phone: (919)619-2104
http://www.tcnine.com/