Re: [ontolog-forum] Quote for the day

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Toby Considine" <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:33:56 -0500
Not every business model *wants* precision of description and communication.    (01)

Many in the commercial real estate world, for one example, feel what they
are buying is a superior awareness of what is, or what could be, than the
seller knows. The seller may feel the same. A model of full and perfect
knowledge on each side would slow business and reduce opportunity.    (02)

I shared with this list a couple years ago an observation from C-level
executives at some of the largest REITs in North America, that a company's
ontology is its unique value proposition, and is the sole responsibility of
its executives. What they wanted from folks like those on this list is clear
and clean semantics in which to express this ontology. Bonus points if the
semantics were such that the Leasing Agent could use them.    (03)

I don't for a minute think that this covers all cases, but it is an
important perspective, an anvil on which to beat other concepts of ontology
on. Clearly, an ontological sales pitch that runs counter to this
perspective would be a tough sell.    (04)

tc    (05)

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker    (06)

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc
TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar
TC Editor: EMIX, EnergyInterop
U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee    (07)

Email: Toby.Considine@xxxxxxxxx
Phone: (919)619-2104
http://www.tcnine.com/
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com    (08)