Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: "'Patrick Durusau'" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum]'" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 13:15:55 -0000
Hi Patrick,    (01)

I was not seeing that the issue was with whether the standard had any
particular conformance requirements.
It was more about whether the individuals drafting it had the requisite
training in the right areas.    (02)

The original issue was that there was a confusion between classes
(types/universals) and individuals (elements/particulars).
This seems to me a confusion about what things actually exist in the real world
- in the domain being modelled - and is unhealthy.
If people had the right training they would be much less likely to make this
kind of mistake.    (03)

This seems to me a separate issue from whether formal logic should be made a
requirement for standards.    (04)

PD> there isn't some abstract requirement that all modeling projects conform to
formal logic.
Agreed - and very few do at the moment.    (05)

Also, I would argue (and I think ChrisM does below as well) that having merely
a good grounding in formal logic by itself is insufficient to build up the
competence to avoid these kinds of errors - hence ChrisM's long list.    (06)

Have a good Xmas.    (07)

Chris    (08)