Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:58:36 -0500
Chris,    (01)

Err, I think your edits may not be advancing the conversation.     (02)

On Fri, 2010-12-24 at 15:34 +0000, Chris Partridge wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> I think we may be agreeing then (I hope so).
>
> > The limitation of ontology work to logic. They are not co-extensive.
> > Ontology being a much broader field than logic.
>
> I would agree, as I said earlier.    (03)

OK.     (04)

> > long list.
>
> My original comment below was intended to make a similar point.    (05)

That wasn't my point, I think it was yours, looking back at the original
posts.     (06)

> I hope you don't have problems with Chris's original point that there is a
>pervasive and mistaken idea that building quality ontologies doesn't require
>any sort of level of ontological awareness, just a clear head, a bit of common
>sense, and a copy of Protégé. (ChrisM hope you don't think my edits have
>obscured your message.)
>     (07)

I don't know what you mean by "...level of ontological awareness...."     (08)

My point is that useful ontologies are not limited to those constructed
based on formal logic and avoidance of modeling mistakes.     (09)

I happen to agree that construction of logic based ontologies requires
more than "...a clear head, a bit of common sense, and a copy of
Protégé." Having said that, I would not exclude ontologies developed
without a formal logic basis from being ontologies.    (010)

Happy Holidays!    (011)

Patrick     (012)