Re: [ontolog-forum] Copyright in Taxonomies: Leading case in US law (ADA

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

>That is a questionable use of the term 'man made'.  It's equivalent
>claiming that birdsong is bird made or swimming is fish made.

If you say birdsong is a language, and sign is language,  I have no further argument on that statement...

However I  meant about current day languages that are being used, that have written scriptures for documentation purpose.   ( Some languages do not have written scriptures)

Topic about roots of Western Philosophy..

I have a more interesting topic that I am studying about.   It is about roots of Western Philosophy.  There is a lot of historical evidence of strong interactions between Greeks and Indians  between  6 th century BC to 1 century.  Especially around northern western part of India  and Taxila where they had Buddhist and Hindu religious and philosophical centers and universities.   Veda and Upanishads were knowledge base of Hindu culture and included scientific and mathematical, linguistic knowledge as well.   It is referred as Indo - Greek era..

  It is documented that Aristotle (384 BC – 322 BC)  was a teacher of Alexander the Great.   Chandragupta Mauyra , the India Emperor  known as Sandrokyptos (Σανδρόκυπτος), Sandrokottos (Σανδρόκοττος) or Androcottus in Greek
He was married to Seleucus 1 Nicator's  daughter and child, shows Indo Greek lenieage of the Ancient India's Maurya Dynasty.
The Taxila University professor -  Chanukya (c. 350–283 BCE) was Chandragupta' Maurya's advisor.   Chanukya is as important in Indian History as Aristotle to Greeks.

I wonder whether Greeks philosophers were influenced by India's great Ancient knowledge since western philosophy evolved rapidly around that period ??    ( no offense to westerner or followers of western philosophy..)!

Regards,
Pavithra