Re: [ontolog-forum] Copyright in Taxonomies: Leading case in US law (ADA

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 06:46:28 -0700 (PDT)
In Scientific world, there is discovery and then there is invention.

Classification is grouping based on  the discovery of patterns and similarity  of the  things - In natural things, it occurs by itself.  In man made things, it is made by man.

Language itself is man made.   Languages are used to document such classification.  However pattern of similarity in natural things are not man made, they are just documented using man made languages..

A taxon (plural: taxa) is a group of (one or more) organisms,

Taxonomy is the practice and science of classification. The word finds its roots in the Greek τάξις, taxis (meaning 'order' or 'arrangement') and νόμος, nomos (meaning 'law' or 'science'). Taxonomy uses taxonomic units, known as taxa (singular taxon)

Originally taxonomy referred only to the classifying of organisms (now sometimes known as alpha taxonomy) or a particular classification of organisms. However, it has become fashionable in certain circles to apply the term in a wider, more general sense, where it may refer to a classification of things or concepts, as well as to the principles underlying such a classification.

Biological classification (sometimes known as "Linnaean taxonomy") is still generally the best known form of taxonomy. It differs from the above in that it is an empirical science, with classifying only the final step of a process, and a classification only the means to communicate the end results. It also includes the prediction, discovery, description and (re)defining of taxa. It uses taxonomic ranks, including, among others, (in order) Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species (various mnemonic devices have been used to help people remember the list of "Linnaean" taxonomic ranks. See Zoology mnemonic)

Nomenclature codes or codes of nomenclature are the various rulebooks that govern biological taxonomic nomenclature, each in their own broad field of organisms

Some have argued that the adult human mind naturally organizes its knowledge of the world into such systems.  So our ancestors started documenting the same using a particular language and notations.

The concept " realism" should apply to things and their classification.   Unless one uses hypothetical theories to prove the patterns rather than scientific facts.