Re: [ontolog-forum] Copyright in Taxonomies: Leading case in US law (ADA

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:33:14 -0500
On 10/28/2010 12:55 PM, Peter F Brown (Pensive) wrote:
> All classification systems are human-created and none reflect any
> “natural” objective truth or set of “facts”.

On the face of it, a preposterous view -- the classification system of
modern astronomy does not reflect a more objectively correct view of the
physical universe than the Ptolemaic view or -- why not? -- the system
of Thales on which everything is ultimately water?  Granted, there are
more sophisticated versions of the thesis, but even then there is
nothing approaching any sort of unanimity on the matter.

> Easterbrook obviously studied his Lakoff properly.

I guess I missed the memo announcing that Lakoff had settled the
centuries-old debate between realism and anti-realism.  That said, the
relevance of the debate to ontological engineering is not at all clear.
But the arguments of Barry Smith and others show, at the least, that
even that is far from settled.

Chris Menzel