Re: [ontolog-forum] Copyright in Taxonomies: Leading case in US law (ADA

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <ses@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:07:12 -0400

It's not just an argumentation style - it's the law :-)

Numbers qua numbers are not copyrightable where those numbers are not creative expressions. See Bender v. West Pub. ( http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1274699.html ); the issue also is also disposed of in Feist itself.

The "controversial part of the ruling"  is not  part of the ruling- it's just dicta. The issue isn't  addressed in any depth, since it's not part of decision.

Simon