Re: [ontolog-forum] Copyright in Taxonomies: Leading case in US law (ADA

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 02:11:20 -0400
Hmm, I guess I don't understand. Gödel numbers have been around since
Kurt created them. Unless, that is, the court is referring to assigning
numbers to specific, unique functions. Then, yes, I would agree that
each agent's set of Gödel numbers could/should be protected. But what's
the point? There are always translation tables.    (01)

I have been leery of URI's for similar reasons. It is easy enough to
create them, but what's to keep some entity from Hooveing them all up,
and then copyrighting the whole thing? Seems that we went through then
when Webster was fighting the dictionary wars. Lawyers can clean up the
mess.    (02)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Systems    (03)