[ontolog-forum] Fw: Interpreting OWL

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "sean barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:48:52 +0100

 Ed,    (01)

 "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him"    (02)

 The title for this thread is "interpreting OWL"; the discussion of
 EXPRESS was a thought experiment to see just how perversely one could
 interpret OWL, essentially as a way of asking, "What level of
 interoperability does one get from using OWL?" The answer has come back,
 loud and clear, "OWL doesn't help at all." This is not a discussion I'd
 observed before, but is important in setting the right (low) level of
 expectation for the Semantic Web.    (03)

 -------------    (04)

 Following the comments about not being able to represent cyclic
 structures in OWL, my hacker's instincts kicked in, and remembering that
 EXPRESS data models can be translated into XML messages, which are also
 tree structured, it strikes me that one could:    (05)

 a) Define two integer properties Id, and Ref
 b) Create an implied relationship, that a value of Ref is a link to a
 thing with its Id the same value as Ref
 c)
 Id Ref
 1 2
 2 3
 3 1    (06)

 While this is not a mechanism explicitly understood by OWL, it a cyclic
 structure that could be expressed in OWL.    (07)

 Given lots of cunning graduates being expected to provide theses using
 OWL, one can confidently predict that where it does not do what they
 want directly, it will be twisted to do it indirectly.
 As Matthew said:    (08)

 "MW: Without something that was effectively an upper ontology (and
 people agreeing to use the one way of implementing it in OWL - or
 whatever) then you have little chance of integrating anything except
 with a pot puri of interfaces."    (09)