Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Interpreting OWL

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:17:49 -0400
Ed,    (01)

I worked at IBM for 30 years, and there were many good products
and some bad products from IBM.  But there is one very important
lesson that I learned:  any technical decision that is made for
political reasons is doomed.  It may win for a while, but in the
long run, it inevitably dies -- either by a bang or a whimper.    (02)

> ... not because XML is good, but because students and
> managers believe it is all there is.  That IMO applies also to OWL.  It
> is the only modeling language W3C has, and thus it will come to dominate
> that part of the trade that is looking for a way up from XML Schema, and
> from the same fount of knowledge.    (03)

That is an argument ad hype and politics.    (04)

Such arguments can have a major effect in killing better options,
at least for a time.  But in the long run, they are overtaken by
newer variants of the kinds of products they killed -- usually ones
that were designed by competitors.    (05)

Bottom line:  Anybody who sees that the emperor has no clothes
has a moral obligation to say so.    (06)