Re: [ontolog-forum] Oooh, FOL is too hard to learn.

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, edbark@xxxxxxxx
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
Ed,

One may develop an intuition based on education and experience,  and one may just have a hunch.   If the intuition is based on the appropriate knowledge base,( ie education and training ) the mind would be working like a computer to project the appropriate information as intuition to help make decisions.

When people learn multiple languages with grammar,  they learn different kind of logic and rules.   So there many be a little off with linguistic _expression_ in another language.

For example,  Kannada language ( the language people use in Bangalore India) has well developed grammar, with logic with sentence formation.   There are well documented  rules to  concatenate two words to form a more meaningful new word.  These rules have names too.   There are sing along songs to remember each one of the rules ( called Sandi among the other things)    Raining king of the 13the century provided funding to revise the language with new grammar and to document it.   And this is just one example.  There are 22 such well developed languages there.   Students are required to learn at least three languages from early on in school.   English is one of them.   Depending on the schools and European influence on the institution, some have more emphasis on languages and to teach English well.   Some teach other languages .  But when students graduate with math and science and engineering. medicine and other subjects,  there is little emphasis on literature and languages.   So many people do not dwell too much into languages because of that..   People who study languages and literature dwell more into those areas.

So  their left brain or right brain gets developed during the course of education.
When you learn Languages and literature as major in collage, taking additional courses in logic would help with language usage in a group like this.   But that does not mean, they can be good computer scientists or develop good models or subject matter experts...  But I am sure they can communicate well and write descriptive language well.

But with careful further learning may help to develop skills in both the areas and balance the brain.

Many people do not catch a chemist and bother him about language and grammer,  But they do this to computer science or engineers all the time.   One do not expect a physicists to manage chemists either.   But they do this to computer scientists all the time.

My point is, the brilliant engineer you spoke of may not have stated your classification vs instantiation well.. but that does not mean is not a good engineer.