Re: [ontolog-forum] sharing and integrating ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 16:12:53 +0000 (GMT)
Rick,
Of course, any word is supposed to mean what it is defined to mean and what is
accepted as such    (01)

> An entity is (a whole) object with the property of existence (the most
>generic     (02)

> one).    (03)

Disagree. Entity subsumes Object and Concept. See [1].    (04)

F: As you would expect I am not familiar with that paper so my comments will
come later    (05)

Concepts are abstract entities in the referenced paper. Objects are
concrete. Concept and Object are complements: their extents are
disjoint.    (06)

Ferenc: my rewording of the above passage:    (07)

Concepts are objects created by abstraction. Objects have properties Concepts
as     (08)

objects also have properties.     (09)

First and foremost objects are seen as 1) form and content, 2) quality and
quantity, have properties: 3) specific and generic
The form of a concept to be shared from individual experience (not detailed
further) is the name (callword) of the concept. At the same time but from a
different angle a concept as an object also seen as quality and quantity    (010)

A concept as quality has a PRODUCT of properties (not tag clouds) with quality
as the essential     (011)

property (existence is the most generic property of all objects, including
concepts. I am not going to be engaged in discussing any subject that does not
exist.)The Quantity of a concept is one. If you see objects that examplify or
substatntiate that concept that will not change that quantity, the uniqueness
of     (012)

the concept. It also indicates that you deal with wholes, not parts or
fractions. This is also due to the fact that you must have a definition of
objects, including concepts.    (013)

Every object is specific and generic at the same time. This property is the
function of the knowledge of the people using the object.
Objects are chained (while folding and becoming properties and relations)
and what is generic from below may be specific from above.     (014)

Rick:
Returning to the subject of earlier threads, Abstract Objects have no extent:
they do not exist.
1 http://www.ditext.com/church/nae.html    (015)

Ferenc: I will study the paper, I am interested in learning ideas new (to me).    (016)

Notes:    (017)

Each object may be isolated from the rest of the other objects. If the
relations     (018)

are properly understood, isolation can be done. Both in reality and in the
mind,     (019)

working with the concepts.     (020)

An object is abstracted/isolated from a context, which is a totality of
objects. Isolation is folding (mental operation) from one set of objects to
another set of     (021)

objects, and it is disjunctive.
 Example:  A object B context (seen as another object)
 By moving our focus from B to A, we isolate A, or vice versa. We cannot have
both in focus, we see either A or B.
Conceptualisation is an "abstract", simplified view of the world that we wish
to     (022)

represent for some purpose. Every knowledge base, knowledge-based system, or
knowledge-level agent is committed to some conceptualisation, explicitly or
implicitly. An ontology is an explicit specification of a conceptualisation.
The     (023)

term is borrowed from philosophy, where an Ontology is a systematic account of
Existence.For AI systems, what "exists" is that which can be represented. When
the knowledge of a domain is represented in a declarative formalism, the set of
objects that can be represented is called the universe of discourse. This set
of     (024)

objects, and the describable relationships among them, are reflected in the
representational vocabulary with which a knowledge-based program represents
knowledge. Thus, in the context of AI, we can describe the ontology of a
program     (025)

by defining a set of representational terms.     (026)

(repeat) Rick: Abstract Objects have no extent: they do not exist.
Ferenc: You mean concepts?    (027)

Regards and thanks    (028)

Ferenc

--