Re: [ontolog-forum] Language vs Logic

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:15:32 -0400
Matthew -    (01)

On Sep 12, 2010, at 4:12 AM, Matthew West wrote:    (02)

>> I am saying that if I can easily know AMT means "amount" (which also
>> carries situational specifics) in Context A & in Context B AMT means
>> "Amtrak" that would be a HUGE leap forward.
>
> MW: You need to discover this by analysis, including asking the users.    (03)

Precisely.    (04)

As you point out earlier... if the label says "weight" & people use
if for "age"... it means age.  Period.  Full stop.    (05)

> MW: In the oil and gas industry where I used to work we had this
> problem
> with engineering data, multiple applications are used in the design
> of, e.g.
> offshore oil rigs that cost billions of dollars, and that data
> needs to be
> repurposed so that they can be operated and maintained safely.    (06)

Actually Shell Houston was instrumental on setting me on this path...
in the late 1980s they were avid data modelers & wanted to use their
central repository (then called a data dictionary) to store the models.    (07)

One—of many—challenge was how to "merge" Model A with Model B and to
assure that things like "postalcode" and "zipcode" would collide as
the same functional thingy.    (08)

I don't have access to things such as CASE tools or Modeling tools so
I'm not totally comfortable with this "knowledge", but people I ask
say they (the people) do not work from pre-established controlled-
vocabulary glossaries.  Whether this is a weakness of the tools or
the organizational process, I am not sure.    (09)

As far as I know this merging of functionally similar thingys is
still not automated.    (010)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (011)

781-455-0949    (012)