Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 13:21:23 -0400
>>> Tim's a good guy, and he did some outstanding work back in 1991, and
>>> he made some good proposals for extending it later.  Unfortunately,
>>> the Semantic Web has turned out to be primarily a *syntactic* web,
>>> and with one of the worst-designed syntaxes ever inflicted on poor
>>> innocent students and programmers.
>> Yes, but not 100% percent TimBL's fault (I would say). At lot of it
>> stems from people following (instinctively) rather that looking closer
>> at his meme's (especially re. Linked Data and the Semantic Web Project
>> in general).
> TimBL designed the Semantic Web "layer cake" on which RDF sits on top of
> XML and supports the semantic layers sit.  He has recently pushed
> Linked Data as part of the Semantic Web, following that layer cake meme.
>
> Remember that the outstanding work he did in 1991 was also based on
> defining an underlying syntax.  The idea is that for widespread computers
> to communicate, they need to be able to handle the same syntax.
>    (01)

For agents to exchange semantically enriched structured data over an
HTTP network they simply need to be able to negotiate data
representation formats.    (02)

The layer cake is/was broken. Until the cake conveys the statement above
(by putting other formats for representing and serializing Triples on
par with RDF/XML). In short, the layer cake is not the way, since this
isn't about layers per se. I much prefer Semantic Web Technology Stack [1].    (03)

> My issue with RDF is not with it being exchanged on the web in XML -- why
> should semanticians care about messaging formats -- but in its being
> limited to triples, which XML is not.  This is a bottleneck that makes
> encoding a semantic language into RDF/XML difficult, raising complications
> for expressing contexts, attaching meta-assertions to RDF statements, and
> expressing ternary and higher arity relations.
>
> RDF (which can be expressed in multiple syntaxes) is a step beyond a fixed
> syntax necessary for universal computer communication.  As such, it and
> the layer cake *languages* built above it (OWL&  SPARQL) need not be
> required to transmit semantics, even if they use XML messaging formats.

>>> We have to support that syntax as legacy systems, but we have to look
>>> at where we should be going in the future.  XML-based notations are
>>> great for marking up documents, but not as general language formats.
>> I agree 100%.
> I agree.  However, an XML message envelope around an expression in some
> language which can be stripped in a standard fashion after transmission
> over the web should not be considered a burden.  A local system that
> transliterates into and out of XML need not store its data in XML, nor
> use XML-based query techniques.    (04)

We shouldn't even be having this conversation if HTTP content
negotiation is in play. Ditto complete separation of Semantics and Syntax.    (05)

> Optimization may show better ways to store data than RDF, even if the
> queries coming in are packaged in RDF.  So long as the system can
> accept RDF/XML queries and respond with RDF/XML, its internal syntax
> is immaterial to the outside world.  If the system accepts SPARQL queries
> and acts like a triple-store, it doesn't matter to the asker if its
> internal processing is totally different.
>
>>> That's great.  But you're doing what I suggested -- support the
>>> semantics, independently of whatever data organization or notation
>>> happens to be used.
>> Yes!
> As long as the notation used in the query from an external asker can be
> converted into (one of) the system's native queries.    (06)

Yes, which is why RDF/XML != RDF. Also,  SPARQL != RDF/XML. RDF database
systems may or may not be SPARQL compliant. The ones that are compliant
deal with the situation you describe.    (07)

Links:    (08)

1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/_after8_/3702240268/ -- Semantic Web
Technology Stack    (09)

Kingsley
> -- doug foxvog

>>> I was simply pointing out some good applications that use RDB.
>>> I make very heavy use of graph representations.  But there are also
>>> many reasons for using tables when tables are appropriate.  The logic
>>> is independent of the data structures.
>> Yes, and as you can tell, we do the very same thing.
>>
>>> I'll repeat my previous principle:
>>>
>>>       Always question strategy, no matter who states them.
>> Again 100%, and if you look at my general commentary zeitgeist re.
>> Linked Data, RDF, and the Semantic Web Project in general, that's what
>> I've always done. You know too well that education is about teaching us
>> not to simply follow without understanding, and this can only happen
>> when we aren't afraid to be the sole heretic questioning memes, visions,
>> or executable strategies.
>>
>> Again, violent agreement.
>>
>>> Sometimes the strategies are good, and sometimes the strategies are bad.
>>> But there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution to all kinds
>>> of problems and applications.
>> Amen!
>>

>> Kingsley
>>> John
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen
>> President&   CEO
>> OpenLink Software
>> Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
>> Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>> Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen
> doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org
>
> "I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
> initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
>      - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

--     (011)

Regards,    (012)

Kingsley Idehen