Re: [ontolog-forum] SemTech trip report?

To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Martin Hepp (UniBW)" <martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:59:05 +0200
Hi Kingsley, all:    (01)

If you are referring to the audio narration of some of my talks in
slideshare and elsewhere...    (02)

I use two different techniques now:    (03)

1. When giving a talk, I use the ScreenFlow screen recorder to capture
the presentation, my voice, and often a video using the webcam. When
finished, I resize the presentation window, insert the presenter video
on the left-hand side, and cover the resulting empty black area below
the video with a static white JPG.    (04)

This allows me to produce a perfectly synced video recording of any of
my talks without any additional equipment (except for sometimes an extra
microphone) and less than 20 minutes of manual post-processing.    (05)

Advantages: Easy, perfectly in sync, includes video
Downsides: You get a video, not sure it is possible to upload it to
slideshare (I use vimeo for those now).    (06)

Example: http://vimeo.com/8065914    (07)

2. Just record an MP3 audio track of your presentation, upload the PPT
to slideshare, add the MP3 as a narration, and manually sync the slide
transitions with the narration.    (08)

Example:
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/a-short-introduction-to-semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-vocabulary-presentation    (09)

Advantages: Less traffic, users can jump to each individual slide,
printable, slides downloadable
Downsides: Effort for the manual syncing, usually 1...3 times the
duration of the audio track.    (010)

Of course, you can also extract the audio track from #1 and thus combine
both approaches.    (011)

Hope that helps    (012)

Best
Martin    (013)

>> The enhancements, as exemplified in Martin Hepp's example, ares more
>> than trivial (he sync'd the slides to the audio, and enabled automatic
>> slide advances on slideshare), and is more involved than a bulk
>> upload. We can, of course, be less ambitious.
>
> Slideshare does allow a degree of multimedia integration post slide
> upload. I don't know if this comes close to the fidelity of Martin's
> integration.
>
> Martin: Please confirm.
>> We - you, I and whoever else wants to volunteer to help with this, and
>> future adaptation of our event archives into linked open data - should
>> best take the conversation offline (and report back later).

martin hepp
e-business&  web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen    (014)

e-mail:  hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
          http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp    (015)

=================================================================    (016)

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/    (017)

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations    (018)

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816    (019)

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey    (020)

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287    (021)

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html    (022)

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on
Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009    (023)