Re: [ontolog-forum] Plural taxonomies?

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:17:24 -0400
Doug -    (01)

On Jun 17, 2010, at 10:49 AM, doug foxvog wrote:    (02)

> The two properties in this
> case could be named "Struck_Over_The_Counter" and
> "Traded_Over_The_Counter"    (03)

Given that party the first calls it "Over the Counter" and party the
second calls it "Over the Counter" by what means or motivation are
you going to get them to use "Struck" & "Traded?"  Dock their pay?    (04)

Just because a database engine is artificially constrained to using
unique keys, that's just not how humans work.    (05)

I would suggest presenting to humans multiple meanings/definitions
for "Over the Counter" & making it very easy to choose which they
mean.  I'm not an expert in this field, but I would be surprised if
there are only two meanings for OTC.    (06)

The way humans work—particularly in a testosterone fueled field like
securities trading—the rules are: "I'm right, you're wrong... now get
out of my face!"  [Highly recommended reading: Michael Lewis's
"Liar's Poker"]  I guaranteed you senior management is NOT going to
step in here & urge the parties to use "correct" language.    (07)

Next approach, please.    (08)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (09)

781-455-0949    (010)