Re: [ontolog-forum] Plural taxonomies?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:58:17 -0500
On May 31, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:
> David,
>
> I think we are cross purposes, I never suggested numbers. I should maybe
> explain a little more about the project I am working on. We are
> developing a formal semantic model of terms in the financial services
> industry, and to do this we are using the underlying concepts of OWL but
> restating these in English. In OWL there are classes (with the
> super-class of owl:Thing), and two types or properties, Object
> Properties and Datatype Properties. We refer to the OWL Classes as
> "Things"    (01)

That doesn't seem like a good idea.  In all species of OWL, every *instance* of
an owl:Class is an owl:Thing.  But only in OWL Full can an owl:Class itself be
considered an owl:Thing.  And even in the context of OWL Full it would be
rather perverse to use "Thing" as a general synonym for "Class" (as you seem to
be suggesting), at is muddies the distinction between classes and other kinds
of things in the OWL universe.    (02)

Chris Menzel    (03)