Re: [ontolog-forum] Apple purchases Siri

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:16:24 -0400
Mills and Peter,    (01)

I agree with Mills' response to Peter.    (02)

PFB> The only downside is that Siri will never see the light of day
 > now on any other platform than the most proprietary ... Apple.    (03)

MD> Not at all. There is no downside. Apple's acquisition of Siri is
 > a bellwether event signaling major market opportunities to come.    (04)

Yes.  Siri is an important app.  But semantic technology is much
bigger, and it's still in its infancy.    (05)

MD> This [Morgan Stanley] report includes my favorite quote of the
 > year (so far):
 >
 > "Mobile Internet is largest market opportunity we've seen in the
 > history of the Technology sector."    (06)

I agree that it's the largest they've seen, but history has had
bigger opportunities, which weren't obvious when they arrived.    (07)

The most famous is Faraday's reply to Chancellor of the Exchequer
Gladstone, who asked what was the practical use of electricity:    (08)

    "One day, sir, you may tax it."    (09)

I would say that semantic technology is bigger.  But like the
tools for electricity in Faraday's time, the current semantic
tools are still very crude.  I think that Tom Gruber and friends
deserve a great deal of credit for developing a successful
application with what is currently available.    (010)

The real successes will come when the technology is not visible
as an "app", and it is not called "mobile" or "Internet" or even
"Mobile Internet" technology.    (011)

Remember, a few years ago, that people marveled at how many electric
motors they have in their homes.  Motors are ubiquitous, and nobody
notices them anymore.  Today, computers are ubiquitous, and there
are probably more computers in a typical home than electric motors.    (012)

I believe that's the real market for semantic technology:  it will
grow to the level where nobody notices it.  That's the target we
should aim at -- not mobile, not Internet, but ubiquitous.    (013)

John    (014)

PS:  If you "read between the lines", this note is a criticism of
the Semantic Web:  the word 'web' is not sufficiently ambitious.    (015)