Re: [ontolog-forum] Apple purchases Siri

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:04:21 -0400
On 4/30/2010 1:39 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:    (01)

> You can think of the (Semantic) Web as a global shared map of the
> connections between everything, if that's sufficiently ambitious...    (02)

It's not ambitious at all.  Connecting everything is a prerequisite,
but it doesn't give you semantics.    (03)

I don't know anything about the innards of Siri, but I've known
Tom Gruber for about 20 years.  And back then, he was using AI
tools that were far more sophisticated than RDF and OWL.    (04)

The point I keep emphasizing is that the word 'Web' narrows
the focus of semantics, and the tools that have been provided
are 30-year-old technology.    (05)

I'm not saying that we should throw away RDF and OWL, but they're
just baby steps toward semantics.    (06)