Re: [ontolog-forum] Cultural variation in cognitive machinery (was:Inven

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 22:34:36 +0300
Dan wrote: "I haven't come across any detailed critiques of this work; but
then I
haven't gone looking yet. I'd be interested in any such pointers..."
Thank you, Dan,
Stimulatingly amusing  subject for the weekend.    (01)

The author mentioned below reminds me a Russian revolutionary ideologist who
insisted that "the class conflicts are diffused in the wide plain of
Russia". Welcome to geographic determinism, a sort of political geography,
where natural environment, habitat, topography, soil, climate, food, or
water shape biological nature, cognition, mindset, behavior, and culture.
That means if you are a tropical man, then you are lazy, promiscuous, and
with a relaxed attitude. And nothing could be changed here, the South is
always foolish, while the North is smart.    (02)

Additionally, there are other idiosyncrasies as linguistic determinism,
social determinism, political determinism, economic determinism, historical
determinism, technological determinism, or cultural determinism. For
instance, the first one ("language relativity") means that language
determines/restricts human thought, cognition and behavior, and that
speakers of different languages think and behave differently.    (03)

As a matter of fact, there is no principal cultural variation in cognition
and thinking. The capacity of holistic or analytic thinking is to be applied
to any person of any race, Black, White, Yellow, Red, Green...    (04)

To avoid all the confusion, it is of big value to realize the
ontology/semantics of culture as shared knowledge, ideas, beliefs, arts,
laws, customs, codes, artworks, institutions, tools, techniques, and
language. In its essence, culture is a universal human capacity to symbolic
thought and behavior, thus determining a universal nature of human language
and cognition.    (05)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (06)

PS: Re. an isolated language as Pirahã language, its semantics and meanings
is enough to be expressed by prosody, i.e., stress, intonation, and rhythm.
The lexicon, grammar, syntax are to be developed as the language matures.    (07)